In 1972, two lifetime high school hockey fans started a weekly broadcast of Greater Boston high school games on WBOS-FM (92.9). The duo – Lance LoFaro and Darby Yaeger – called the nightly broadcasts “Hockey Night in Boston“.
Five years later, the duo enjoyed the first-ever high school highlight show on TV 25 every Saturday morning. As of late, the HNIBnews – over 30 years running – has kept the scholastic hockey world on its feet with its widely-read newspaper. HNIBnews now continues its coverage at www.HNIBnews.com.
For over 40 years, the HNIB Summer Tournament is considered by many College recruiters as one of their most important scouting criterion for evaluating the top underclassmen in the USA. Over 250 HNIB graduates are now college stars, and over 50 former HNIB players wore NHL/AHL jerseys this past year.
HNIB Summer Tournaments consist of the Boys Major Summer Showcase, the Girls Major Summer Showcase, the Sophomore All-Star Tournament, and the Jr. High Festival. HNIB also holds many weekend selection festivals which include:
- Girls New England Festival in early June
- Southeast Festival for Boys in early June
- Northern New England Festival for Boys in early June
- NY, CT, Mid-Atlantic Festival for Boys in Northford, CT (mid-June)
- Midwest Festival for boys at Gilmour Academy in Ohio
- High School Division Festival for Boys in late-June
For more information on Hockey Night in Boston, call 978-682-2425, or email us at HNIBinfo@comcast.net.