We welcome you to the games of the 48th annual Boys Major Showcase! We would like to make you aware of the following Rules and Guidelines.
NCAA rules, along with coincidental penalty washout (5-on-5). Penalized players will serve time; substitutions from bench will play. Tag-up Offsides. Automatic Icing, allow line changes at all stoppages of play. Mouth guards/full shields/cages are mandatory.
12 total teams make the playoffs. Top 2 teams in each division make the playoffs, and the remaining four spots will be the best of the rest. The 4 divisional winners will be seeded #1-4 based on the Playoff Seeding tie-breakers. Then, the remaining 8 seeds will be seeded separately using the playoff seeding tiebreakers below.
Divisional Tie-Breakers (to determine top 2 teams in each division):
- Head to Head
- Divisional Record
- Fewest Goals Allowed
- Coin Toss
Playoff Seeding for Seeds 5-12:
- Head to Head (if teams played each other)
- Fewest Goals Allowed
- Best +/- Differential
- Director’s discretion
- Minor – 1:30 minutes
- Major – 4:00 minutes
- Misconduct – 7:30 minutes
- Game Misconduct – removal from that game only, player can play in next game.
- Disqualification – a 5:00 minute major, and removal from that game and the next game.
For Disqualification penalties, like fighting, spearing, butt end, kicking are called, the player will sit out the rest of that game and the next game.
Round-Robin Game Time: (46 Minutes – Stopping Time)
(3 minute warm-up) (first 23-minute period) (ice cut) (second 23-minute period)
No overtime play in round-robin games.
Playoff Rounds (mini games, 25-minutes:
– Preliminary Round/Quarterfinals/Semis: If tied, 3-man sudden death shootout
– Finals: If tied, play a 5-minute, 3-on-3 overtime. If still tied after 5 mins, 3-man sudden death shootout
- Unsportsmanlike play, illegal contact and abuse of officials will be dealt with most severely.
- Fighting will absolutely not be tolerated in any event.
- Goaltenders must split each game.
- Coaches are expected to play everyone as equal as possible for first 41 minutes of the game. *If game is close in final 5 minutes, playing time is up to coach’s discretion.
Although locker rooms will be locked during games, we advise you to leave money and valuables in your car or with parent/guardian, rather than bringing them into the locker room. HNIB will not be responsible for any items left in the locker rooms.
The HNIB coaches and staff look forward to a week of exciting and competitive hockey.